We prepared our cotton fabric by securing it with rubber bands or tying it with string- around stones, folded, fanned, scrunched, bunched…
We then dipped each piece in the bucket of indigo dye, moving the bundle with our gloved hands. (*Note, if you try this at home, make sure your glove doesn't have even the tiniest hole. My index finger was blue for a week! K used different gloves…her blue thumb lasted for days too.)
The one below was a gray t shirt- it took the dye a little differently…
We loved how each piece was a bit of a surprise when we opened it- with more practice, maybe our results would be a bit more predictable.
K had some onesies on hand- I dyed this one twice so the circles on the bottom half are more subtle than the larger one on the top.
I sewed my shibori squares to make napkins, complete with mitered corners.
And I found some napkins at a thrift store (Value Village) to add to the mix. I think they'll look great with my plain white dishes and some bright yellow daffodils for our Easter table.
Thanks K, it was a fun and productive weekend. :D
Make it a Wonderful Day!