Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Make it Peachy!


My Nana made the BEST peach cobbler-sweet juicy goodness and a thin crispy crust. When I was first married, I asked her for her recipe. Let's just say, her "recipe" wasn't designed for a cooking newbie. When I asked her how many peaches, her answer was, "It depends on how big your pan is." "How much sugar?" I asked, and she answered, "It depends on how sweet your peaches are."
But over the years, I've found that her "recipe" was exactly right!


Mine is a deep dish, spiced peach pie with a single top crust, baked in a small roasting pan. It's very juicy, so serve it in a bowl. I make enough crust for a two-crust pie so I can make pie crust "cookies" to serve along with the cobbler. (Though they often don't last long enough for the cobbler to cool!)
My Peach Cobbler...
Like Nana Used to Make
(Fits my 10"round, 3"deep pan)
Filling:
10-12 C. ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, & cut into thick chunks
3/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1/2 C flour
Mix flour, sugar and spices. Add to sliced fruit. Mound prepared fruit in baking pan.
Crust:
2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp cinnamon sugar, divided
1/3 C. butter (or shortening)
1/3 C. shortening
7 T. ice water
Mix flour, salt, and one teaspoon cinnamon sugar. Cut in shortening to a fine "cornmeal" like texture. Cut in butter to the size of small peas. Sprinkle with ice water, one tablespoon at a time, lightly tossing with fork after each addition. Gently gather into ball; divide in half.
Roll out one half large enough to cover pan with 1 1/2 inch overhang. Top fruit with crust and press to edge of pan, shaping as desired. Prick top with fork. Spray top crust lightly with cooking spray (or brush lightly with melted butter) Sprinkle generously with cinnamon sugar.
Cover edge with foil or pastry ring. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, bake another 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool to warm or room temp. Serve in a bowl with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream and pie crust cookie.
Pie Crust Cookies
Roll out crust to scant 1/4 inch thickness. Spray with cooking oil spray or brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cut with mini cookie cutters, or use knife to cut into small squares or diamonds. Move to cookie sheet and bake at 375 until golden. Cool.


5 comments:

  1. This sounds so good - and I love that it's juicy!! I've printed this out and it's not in my "to make" pile...at the top! Yesterday was great fun - I wish we could have all gone in the same car - I would have loved to heard the camp songs! Oh, I have your fabrics and book - I'll bring them by Sunday night. xo, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh that looks amazing! I'll have to make this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm.... that sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is closer to my Granny's peach cobbler recipe than any I've ever seen - so glad you use flour in your filling instead of cornstarch or tapioca as many others do, and the crust is a "real" crust instead of a biscuit-y layer. Granny gave me the same kind of instructions. One of my favorite phrases she used was "a knob of butter" - lol!

    I'm going to try your crust recipe, as the one I've always made is all shortening (Granny used lard!) and I've never thought to include cinnamon/sugar.

    ReplyDelete