Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Cake for Dave

Dave asked for this cake for Valentine's Day. It's a classic sheet cake, but I used a large circle cutter after baking. The frosting is cooked on the stove, and then poured onto the cake while still warm. It's like a layer of fudge on top of the cake, so some of you may want small portions. (Not me. I'm hooked on butter and sugar- my favorite food group.)

SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE
Cake:
MIX: 2 C. Sugar 2 C. Flour  and 1/2 tsp. Salt. Set aside.
MELT: 1C. Butter with 4 Tblsp. Cocoa
ADD: 1 C. Water. Bring to boil.
POUR: Over dry ingredients and mix.
ADD: 1/2 C. Sour Cream and mix.
ADD: 2 Eggs and 1 tsp. baking soda; mix.
POUR: Into greased and floured 9x13 pan
BAKE: In a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Cool
Frosting:
BOIL UNTIL BUBBLY: 1 C. Butter 6 Tblsp. Canned Milk and 4 Tblsp. cocoa
ADD: 1 pound Powdered Sugar and 1 tsp. Vanilla.
BEAT by hand or with electric mixer until smooth.
ADD: 1 C. Chopped Nuts
FROST: Cooled cake immediately with warm frosting.

Confession time: I've made this cake TONS of times with no problem. But this one baked unevenly, sinking in the middle. So cutting it into serving-sized pieces was a solution to a not so pretty cake! I didn't get a photo of it garnished with strawberries-but this looked a lot better than serving a crater cake in my old baking pan!


Oh, here's a little gift for Dave wrapped in paper I stamped with my carved eraser. So quick and easy!

2 comments:

  1. That cake looks PERFECTLY delicious! I am excited to make it some day when I decide to go off my diet. Maybe St. Patricks Day or this Thursday! I like Thursday!

    ReplyDelete