Tuesday, April 5, 2011

R and W in NYC

It was amazing. We just spent a week in New York City. And our timing was perfect. This show was one of many wonderful experiences, but I'd have to say, with all NYC has to offer, this was the most memorable of all! Words can't describe the power of 651 red and white quilts. All together. Displayed in such a fantastic space. And in such an incredibly unique and accessable way.


I took over 40 photographs of this inspiring show, "Infinite Variety- Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts". The show was presented by the American Folk Art Museum at the Park Avenue Armory March 25-30th. It was attended by over 24,000 people, and was the largest quilt show ever held in New York City.

The number of quilts was impressive, but the story behind it, the GENIUS of the way the quilts were displayed, and the sense I had of a being a witness to and a part of a collective women's history made this a unique experience. And being able to share it with my daughter who lives in NYC made it even better.


More tomorrow to come...


Make it a Wonderful Day!

3 comments:

  1. What are the chances this show will travel? I would love to see it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read through your posts on the show three times - can't seem to get enough of those quilts! And each time something different jumped out at me! I'm so glad you got to see them - what a wonderful experience! I hope, hope, hope these quilts travel WEST!!! Thanks for posting - I've seen the video and other's posts but I loved your descriptions! xo, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that a miss print? Only 40 photos? But stunning photos at that. Well done. l visited 5 times during the 6 days the exhibit was on, and took around 900 photos. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete