Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jelly Batik

Here's a look at what I've been working on.


I started with the "jelly roll" strips in blues, browns, and creams, then added the bright green, rust, and turquoise that I bought as fat quarters. No pattern, just added them as I felt like it. They make me think of leaves floating in a river. Or something like that. I planned from the beginning to do the green strip, but only decided to add the brown border (and the green going into it) once the inside was sewn. Because the result is to have the green bar look like it's floating, I wish the long bars and short bars had continued all the way across- matching so as to reinforce the floating idea. Maybe next time....



Make it a Wonderful Day!

6 comments:

  1. I am not a person who normally likes brown, but this is gorgeous. I love that the fabric is batik. jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the break, now it looks like a dam! See, the blue area (without the sparkles) is the top and the brown area is the frothy stuff floating away! Or something like that....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the floating leaves! Very pretty colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this design, how many Jelly Rolls did it take? How big did you make it? I'd love to make something similar for my son

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn-I'm glad you like it! It's only one "jelly roll"- it's Timeless Tonga Treats in the Coffee Cake colors. (Hancock fabrics packages it in a flat wrap, not the traditional roll).I added a few fat quarters for the brighter green, rust, and turqoise. And then the border. It's a large lap quilt. (I don't have it here right now- but will get back to you with the measurements.

    ReplyDelete